Friday 22 March 2013

Boy's rooms

When I went for my 20 week scan and we were asked whether we wanted to know the sex of the baby, we both said yes. I had a feeling it would be a boy as everyone else I knew had had girls and someone - i.e. me - must be due a boy.

And I'll be honest - when that was confirmed I felt a tiny sense of disappointment as I realised all the pretty little outfits and doll's tea parties wouldn't be happening. I think lots of women secretly want a girl, possibly because they know what to do with one. Or they'll have that mother-daughter bond.

But then I got thinking. Boys are, apparently, very affectionate towards their mums. I was having a son. We could have lots of adventures together. I was excited. We went out and bought a few items of clothing: stripy things. There was an agreement - no dinosaurs, diggers or robots (you find that in many shops, boys clothes are a bit of an unimiginative afterthought). It meant we had more of a challenge to find things we liked. It was fun. And fortunately we didn't have to buy pink things. I'm not really a pink person.

When Joe arrived I knew I wouldn't change him in any way at all. I couldn't imagine having a girl - I'd even go so far as to say I'd like another boy if we ever had another baby (unlikely, by the way. We like it being just the three of us).

He's now in his own room. He has bright things - colourful toys and storage. Pastels are out. People have bought him lovely gifts and made him things for his room. Others are old items of mine. I recently spotted this image and loved the collection of globes. Decorating his room has been fun so far, and I'm looking forward to finding him some more treasures. 



  Giant cushions which were once on my bed.


Ceramic toadstools on the windowsill.


A little collage in a box frame I made (with his hospital tags and an impression of his foot).


The box frames are from Ikea. They make good gifts if you fill them thoughtfully.


Cute little bag for storing things in.


A colourful mobile - origami birds - made by a relative.

Boys are wonderful. I strongly recommend them.

Globe image courtesy of Apartment Therapy (see my blog list)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...