Tuesday 7 January 2014

Mitenska


A few realisations: firstly, that I've been writing this blog for just over a year now. Secondly: it really isn't that hard to make a photo collage and insert it into a post. Now I know.

So I went back through my year (and a bit) and pulled some (lots) of photos. Nice memories, things I'd completely forgotten about, several not-so-great posts. But that's what it's all about I suppose: making a start, getting over the initial 'What do I write about?' business, finding your own unique style and just... writing.

I remember setting out, perhaps trying to emulate some of my favourite blogs and realising that just wasn't me. So I thought, 'Sod it' and just started anyway. It was a form of journalling (excuse the American term) with photos, of recording what I'd been up to but also sharing my thoughts on whatever happened to be on my mind at any given time.

Nobody was reading my blog. Nobody commented. I kept going because I liked doing it. I didn't want to share it with people I knew because it felt too personal, yet I was happy to post to the entire worldwide web. Odd. Gradually people started to read and comment and it was great. And I still class myself as a complete amateur, probably will for a long time yet.

But the fact is, I love blogging and I love my blog. I also love how it's brought me into contact with some truly nice people (and their little corners of the internet), it's made me think and feel inspired and it's got me writing. I used to keep a diary but sometimes I'd leave huge gaps in between entries. This is better. And it has photos.

Not to mention the fact that it gives me the opportunity to track Joe's progress and my feelings on being a mum. His own little picture blog is really to keep friends and family up-to-date but there's nothing in there by way of prose. Just a few jokey captions to go with the images.

So I mentioned in earlier posts I was trying to focus on fewer things which I enjoyed the most and do them well. I've chosen Mitenska and drawing. The rest: knitting, sewing, printmaking - they're all still on the radar (and I have a few commissions in the pipeline) but the simple fact is, between caring for a 16-month-old and running the house, there isn't a whole lot of time (or energy) left to devote to so many pursuits. Other things: family, reading, walking, cooking, the garden are still as important too. So time really is precious and needs to be spent wisely.

I intend to keep writing and taking photographs and would even like to share some sketches throughout 2014.

Thanks to everyone who has read the blog, and to those who have commented and encouraged me during this first year. I'm looking forward to the next year and my notebook's getting full already...

Sarah x

16 comments:

  1. Your reasons for blogging echo mine ... I love the diary aspect and the opportunity to record ... I am pleased to have found your blog ... a little while ago now and have really enjoyed dipping in and out of your older posts ... looking forward to seeing some of your sketches ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bee! Thanks for your comment and for reading. Likewise, I'd seen you commenting on blogs I like too and paid yours a visit. I'm now a regular! I love - virtual though it is - that there's a blogging community of like-minded ladies out there and I value being part of it x

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary!
    I love your collage. I started my blog as a way of documenting time with my youngest (the older two feature as well, but they quite often object to being here...) No-one read it for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages. I didn't mind, but I loved it when people did start to. It felt as if I wasn't alone in this funny bloggy world. And I've connected with some amazing people, and am priviledged to have an insight into the lives of others.

    here's to many more years to come xx

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for commenting and reading... at first you do start thinking, 'Is there anybody out there?' but I really like having a photo journal of the past year.
      Being in touch with great people is a huge bonus and on the odd occasion where I've felt aggrieved about something and posted about it, the support has been such a huge help.
      See you in the blogosphere throughout 2014!
      Sarah x

      Delete
  3. I look forward to new posts on the blog, love your style and feel quite honoured that (as a member of the family) you told me about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, you're one of the select few! There are now one or two other trusted relations on board too but I think it will remain at three.
      Maybe when we get over your way and have a day out I can do a post on that too :)

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy reading your blog and look forward to sharing 2014 with you.
    N :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm excited about this year, although today has been the first day I've felt a tinge of SAD - it's so colourless out there!
      I hope you carry on blogging too x

      Delete
  5. I agree. Blogging is a really good way of recording the little details of life which otherwise might get forgotten. Keep on blogging! I really enjoy reading and looking at your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's become a big part of my life now - recording little ideas, taking photos and playing around with them, visiting other blogs...
      So much more rewarding than watching endless TV (not that I can give up the telly completely - nobody's perfect!)

      Delete
  6. It's lovely to hear you've found your own way and style that you're comfortable with. I think that comes through and feels more natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's quite difficult when you're questioning yourself - 'will a post on this subject be boring/depressing/self-indulgent?' etc. I just go with it now. People definitely seem to respond to those where you open up a little.
      It ultimately depends on my mood, too. Sometimes I just like to post about what I've been up to, others I like to share things that are on my mind. Thankyou for reading - I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  7. Well you certainly don't seem like an amateur to me! You have a strong voice, you write well, and your photos are wonderful. I don't mention my blog to most of the people I see daily, I feel like that would be weird. But of course there is nothing to stop them stumbling upon it my accident, it's there for all to see! It funny, getting that balance right. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for that comment! I love writing and taking pictures. And blogging is far more rewarding to me than writing a diary, as it allows me to interact with others along the way (and read their blogs, too).
      It can be a very cathartic process but I make sure I never over-share or name names. A good reason not to drink and blog!

      Delete
  8. You have a lovely blog ... there are many with much bigger audiences who don't get to the heart of things in the way you do. So even if you feel as if you're 'just' journalling I'd say you're doing much more than that ... and long may it continue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie - thank you for that. I love your blog too - both your writing and beautiful photography. I have to say, I'm honoured to be a member of this little community x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...