Friday 8 August 2014

Things...



Which are making me happy right now. Like this crystal vase. My mum's been trying to offload the crystal for a while now so I needn't have worried about pestering her for it after all. No flowers as yet - I suspect it will require old-fashioned spray carnations or chrysanthemums or similar. But it does cast little rainbows on Gertie's table when the sun shines in through the window.

Oh, and she also gave me her bottle of (unopened) Chanel No. 5. I think that makes me a bit glamorous. Let's pretend it does, shall we?


I'm going to tell you about my August reading in this post instead of Laura's link-up this month. I have too many posts lined up at the moment so will include all things literary right here.

Most exciting thing: Jay (secretly) bought me a Kindle. Yes, I know e-readers stir up a lot of debate but as much as I do love 'real' books adorning my shelves, and their smell and feel, I'm quite taken with my new device. I was initially a bit stuck as to what I should choose to read first but went with The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. The verdict so far? I love it. Seriously. I'm only 34% (I know) of the way through it as yet but I'd definitely recommend it. Funny, clever, sparely written but so wise. Seriously. Read it.

I'm also reading Tender (Volume One) by Nigel Slater. It's from the local library. I'm saving up for a real - not electronic - copy of my own. Cookbooks are one genre of book which I can't imagine not buying in their hefty, tactile, straight-to-prized-possession-status format. Nigel can do no wrong as far as I'm concened. And the carrot fritters from this book were delicious (even meeting with the enthusiastic approval of my one-year-old).


I'm still reading Joanna Blythman's What to Eat, and enjoying that just as much. Enlightening, inspiring and in my opinion a must read for anyone interested in food, cooking and nutrition.

Finally: The Happiness Project. I picked it up from the little library and tried to get into it but couldn't. I just found Gretchen Rubin too irritating and spoilt with her first-world problems and (what I perceived as) whingeing. I'll be returning it for someone else to try. I hope they enjoy it more than I did.


It's been a wet few days. Foraging has been limited to what's growing in the back yard. A big marrow (OK, bloated courgette) and some sorrel, hastily harvested in between rain showers. Joe was extremely put out to see the back of the marrow (he visits it every day). And I'll be honest: it was too hard to cut up. So I chose a smaller specimen and cobbled together a pan of soup with some other bits and pieces, and that used up the forlorn-looking veggies at the bottom of the fridge most satisfactorily.


I have a new notebook. Yes, another one. It's very pretty and printed with soya ink on recycled paper. From Tesco, of all places. Not particularly cheap but the pages are illustrated and it's inspiring me no end. Notes for future blog posts are quickly filling it. I may have to buy another with the weekly shop. Food for the imagination - does that justify sneaking it into the basket?


Probably not. 


We've been testing out the theory of there being no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices. Today I discovered I need some waterproofs. Maybe a puddle suit like Joe has (joke). He made such a fuss when the heavens opened and I put the rain cover over his buggy. I'd gladly have swapped places with him.

We took cover under the church lychgate for a little while then made a run for home. Somehow we ended up in the little cafe in the village sharing a plate of chips and ketchup. Oops.

But if chips and ketchup don't make my list of happy-making things then, as they say in these parts, it's a poor do.

*********************************************************************************

P.S. I wrote this post on Tuesday and sadly the following evening my mum became very poorly indeed. I'll be taking a little break from writing here and from visiting other blogs. I hope you understand and I'll be back when I feel I can.

Sarah.










18 comments:

  1. Really hoping your Mums feeling better soon, take care. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you and your mum Sarah. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of positive thoughts that your Mum recovers quickly.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you and your Mum in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, hope all is well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, this was such a lovely happy feeling post and then I really felt for you at the end. I guess none of knows what might round the corner. Thinking of you and sending love. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry that you mum is unwell, she has my best wishes. I have Tender from the library as well, it's a lovely book, and I managed to buy the second volume (the fruit one) second-hand, which made me happy. I'm pathologically unable to pass a good notebook by, I love them. Tesco, you say..? I hope things improve for you mum very soon. I'm sending you a cyber hug. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your mum gets well soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post Sarah but your little postscript made me want to give you a hug. So sorry your mum is poorly. Thinking of you all and wishing your mum well. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry your mum is ill - I hope she gets well soon and look forward to your lovely posts when you return. I share your taste in reading - just love 'The Shipping News' and I also found Gretchen a bit annoying. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering how your mum was doing but didn't like to ask. It must be a worrying time for you all and I hope she feels much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish your mum to be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am only just catching this post now, so sorry for not passing on my best wishes to your Mum sooner. I hope that she will be well again very soon. Take care of her and yourself in the meantime. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Shipping News is a wonderful book :). So sorry to hear your mum is not well, I hope it is nothing serious and she is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you and your mum, Sarah and sending you very best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your mum is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Take care Sarah. Thinking of you and your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello - I am just having a VERY long overdue catch up here. I am sorry to hear about your mum's sudden decline in her health. I remember you saying some time ago that she had been ill. I was just thinking what a wonderful post you'd written, and how you sounded happy and calm, and I hope that things are bearable and that you are coping ok and can find comfort and joy in the little things. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...